Thursday, August 15, 2013

Yes, Photography is Art!


 

When I completed the book "Another Way of Telling," I immediately picked up the Aperture Masters of Photography book, "Alfred Stieglitz" and read the essay by Dorothy Norman. For Stieglitz, a photograph reflects what "one truly and most sacredly experiences oneself." He fought beginning in the 1880's for the stature of photography as an art form, a means of "expression to be respected in its own right, on the same basis as any other art form."


And speaking in the 1930's yet even more poignant for today's photographer, Alfred said that "Personally, I like my photographs straight, unmanipulated, devoid of all tricks ... But should any one want to go to his own particular photographic hell in his own particular way - manipulated, hybrid or whatever - I say, "Got to it. But go to it for all you are worth, the harder the better, insisting on your right of way without necessarily disregarding all traffic lights. And if you must disregard even those, I say: 'Go ahead full speed!'

Journey On!

No comments: