Sunday, April 26, 2009

This I Believe


This morning marked the final broadcast on NPR (National Public Radio) of a 4-year series entitled "This I Believe," the personal philosophies of famous and ordinary people. For most of the series, I thought about writing my own statement, but never quite got around to it. Until this morning. And the thoughts flowed. Not necessarily related directly to travel and/or photography - but one's philosophy toward life, I'm sure, has a bearing on all aspects of life. So, without further ado:

This I believe ... I believe in calculated risks. Not jumping off a cliff without a parachute into a foggy mist. But taking a leap of faith with a worthwhile goal in mind and the odds at least a bit in my favor.

I have not done this too often, but there have been those times – moments actually – when the leap seemed a good option and I went for it. And they have always worked out – maybe not exactly as intended – but worked out nonetheless.

I remember some of my dad’s final words – “I wish I had taken more risks in life” – and how proud he was that I had taken risks here and there.



* When I changed majors the first week of my junior year in college from the “safe” major of “business administration” to the “interesting” major of “political science.”



* When I quit my decent paying, pension-oriented job with a Seattle transit agency and moved to New York City, sans job, to be close to my then-girlfriend (and now wife).


*And when I quit my decent paying, pension-oriented job with the same Seattle transit agency a number of years later to go out on my own as a consultant so as to have more control of my time and to work on a project dear to my father’s heart – Safeco Field.

I’ll be the first to admit that I didn’t make any of the leaps on account of my dad (at least I don’t think so!) – I had my own reasons for each – but it certainly made it easier knowing of Vic’s support for each.

Leaps of faith require faith – a belief that it will all work out – and require a leap – taking off into the unsecured future. Most importantly, they require making a decision based on incomplete information, “trusting in the universe.” And, thankfully, the universe provides!

No comments: